Saturday, February 2, 2013

It's Alive!

Thursday, 01.31.13:  Changed out the spark plugs with brand new NGK B8ES plugs. (Note to self - there are three different styles of spark plug terminal caps: Solid, Loose, and Stud.  Loose plugs have a threaded cap that makes them look like solid terminals, but can be screwed off to expose the stud so they can be used on low impedance spark plug wires.)  The terminal caps were a bear to get off, but after putting them in a vice and using a pair of pliers, I was able to finally unscrew them.  I was short on time, but for grins, I thought I'd try starting up the bike.  I had adjusted the contact point gaps the previous weekend and thought that maybe I could get away with using the old plugs.  They fired sparks after all.  And all of the struggle and confusion with getting the terminal caps off of the new plugs had me thinking I had the wrong ones.

Spark plug terminal caps off!



Here's some video of the bike coming to life:


Friday, 02.01.13:  Tried adjusting/syncing the carbs... To no avail.  Checked the plugs and they are black/covered in carbon.  Also noticed quite a bit of white smoke coming out of my crankcase breather hose, so it sounds like it's running rich.  Am going to set the ignition timing sometime this next week and then give adjusting the carbs another shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment